Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bombshells

Eighteen years ago my life changed forever.  One Saturday in May, V was working as an archaeologist at a dig at the Tredegar Iron Works in downtown Richmond, VA (it is now run by the National Park Service).  As he was monitoring some equipment, he spotted something large and round.  He halted the equipment and leaped into the trench to see what it was.  It was round and made of iron and looked for all the world like a cannon ball.  The other workers warned him off because after so many years, an armed round from the Civil War would be filled with nitroglycerin and could be highly dangerous.  Not being one to always listen to the voice of reason, he rolled the ball out of its spot to reveal a bright green spot on the other side- the sign of a potentially armed round.
The site director was notified, the Navy Bomb disposal squad was called and a section of downtown Richmond was evacuated- including the Federal Reserve Bank.  The bomb disposal guys yelled at V when they got there about how dangerous and stupid he had been because people are killed almost every year by old Civil War rounds.
The round was packed with explosives and shielding and detonated, proving it to be a dud... a spiked round.  Relieved, everyone returned home.  V consumed much of a 6 pack of beer to steady his nerves.
The following morning, a lovely spring Sunday, I got up early.  At the time, I was very, very pregnant and while out on the deck letting the dogs out, my water broke.  V refused to take me to the hospital until he had drunk at least one cup of coffee.  Seventeen hours later, our lovely baby girl was born.
 Two bombshells in the same weekend.
Our lives have never been the same.  We have been truly blessed.

Happy Birthday my Darling Justine!!  Today you are 18!!

In case you are wondering- the combine tire photo is one of her senior pictures.  I snapped it last year at Old Threshers.  Even with no make-up and after a hot dusty day among steam engines she is beautiful and this is one of my favorite pictures of her... partly because it is so... her.

20 comments:

  1. Aww, what a sweet story and you're right, that's a fantastic picture. Happy Birthday to J!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once told one that my husband was responsible for having to have the Federal Reserve Bank evacuated and they thought he was some sort of terrorist. LOL! At least he didn't blow himself up the night before she was born. THAT would have been a bummer.

      Delete
  2. What a cute, cute story! That picture of your daughter is indeed beautiful. Happy Birthday greetings to her. (I think it's a good thing V got out of the archaeologist business!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blowing up thing was a rare occurrence. More likely he would get shot by someone thinking he was trespassing.

      Delete
  3. 18 years in the blink of an eye. What an exciting story you get to tell! And I agree; Justine is beautiful and that's a great senior pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still convinced that she's only 5! It can't have been 18 years already!

      Delete
  4. Many, many Happies Justine :)

    That is one big cannonball!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful story as I say with tears,' ' ',& "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JUSTINE"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let her know you said Happy Birthday.

      Delete
  6. You can really spin a tale - what a lovely way to announce a monumental birthday of a very lovely young woman. Happy birthday, Justine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I don't tell that story half as well as my hubby. He can REALLY spin it!!

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday J18!! WOW!! and adult now! How time flies huh?! Found the cannon Ball story fun!! How in the world did you get to Iowa from Va? We need to hear that story too!! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"m originally from Iowa. I was going to school in Richmond. I got my degree from the Medical College of Virginia. Then, we came back to the midwest.

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Justine!
    Judy, I gave you an award over at my blog:) Your daughter is beautiful and looks alot like you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the award! I'll try to get to it in all my spare time this week, LOL!
      And, yes, Justine and I do look a lot alike. We hear it a lot. Even her teachers have commented on it.

      Delete
  9. Awwww, Happy Birthday Justine! What a gorgeous photo of her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of my favorite photos. For some reason, it captures a lot of who she is: No makeup, hair hastily pulled back in the morning, ripped jeans, not afraid to get dirty. And with all that, she still manages to look great.

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.