Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Day

Happy May Day!  Or should that be mayday, mayday!!  May is shaping up to be a hectic month for us.  We've got two birthdays, our anniversary, graduation and its associated party, prom, two band concerts, the Senior Recognition Ceremony and several other school events and activities.  And soon I will be able to plant the main season garden- if it stops raining.
We are hoping to be able to finish the deck extension but J17's grad party but the weather hasn't been cooperating with that either.  At least that is a project that isn't the end of the world if it doesn't get done.  I do hope to get the landscaping done on the south side of the house done before the party since that area ties into the deck and herb spiral.  My little plants arrive this week (including my supposedly hardy Rosemary!) so I need to get places ready to accept them.

Yesterday, I did get the dining room walls painted and did some more work on J17's quilt.  This evening I finished transplanting all of my remaining seedlings.  I've got my plants sorted out into flats already, I've got an email in to my friend Jim to see what starts he wanted and the rest go to the plant sale on the 13th.

I did get the menu for the party finalized.  Most everything can be prepped in advance and I'm keeping it pretty simple so I'm not actually too worried about pulling it off.  Financially, it may be interesting.  We've had extra expenses with graduation, college fees and deck construction that finances are going to be tight this month.  I'm just going to have to be an extra good bargain shopper this month and we'll have to tighten belts a bit to make things work.  But, J17 is worth a little extra expense for her party. It's my little girl all grown up.  (Don't tell her... but I'm going to miss her when she's off to college!)  She is a pretty awesome girl.  I am kind of hoping to be able to finish her quilt in the next two weeks as well as a graduation/18th birthday present.


7 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you ,you have a grating daughter too-me a grandson but I what to watch you closely see what your serving at your party since its been awhile for me ,I'm planning one too--the storm came and went,at least maybe the grass seed will take off now. oh and the party ,I know ,everyone says keep it simple( HA,easy for them to say,I'm still trying to figure out how to send a e-Vite---lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're doing the simple cheese and cracker route for the party. A variety of veggies, cheeses, crackers and bread with an assortment of spreads. I was going to make mini- meringue shells to hold strawberries but I opted out of that one. I don't think my sanity would hold up too well for that.
      And good luck with the e-vites!!

      Delete
  2. Judy, Justine will want to know that you miss her. Infact, right about week three away she'll be expecting a care package if she is anything like either of my own children. They didn't say so until the package didn't arrive! Lol! Be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure she knows I'll be missing her. And I'm already planning and plotting care packages in my head. She is actually requesting a package of homemade pasta and some sundried tomatoes- LOL! She is definitely my daughter!!

      Delete
  3. After reading about your up-coming month, I had a strong urge to go back to bed and get up in June! Holy cow - what a schedule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I wanted to crawl back in bed and get up in June this morning as well! I'm working on one event at a time. First this weekend to get through prom. Next week is two band concerts... we'll whittle away at it!!

      Delete
  4. A busy month coming up for sure, but it will be fun!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.