Monday, May 28, 2012

Random Holiday Madness and Unicorn Poop

First of all, let me wish a peaceful Memorial Day to you all and say THANK YOU to all those who have served and sacrificed for our freedom.  We often take for granted the freedoms we enjoy.

Today is a random day.  Some gardening took place- although not as much as I would have liked since I pulled something in my back over the weekend and, while I'm moving much, much better than I was yesterday, I'm still a bit stiff and sore so no heavy duty weeding for me.  I managed to plant the little tomatoes and peppers that Mom and Dad brought up last weekend but still need to find homes for the 4 little maple seedlings they brought.  I also watered the garden early this morning since the 'storm' that went through only produced sprinkles for about half an hour.
This afternoon, Justine and I baked cookies.  And not just ordinary cookies.  We made Unicorn Poop!

I saw a link to the original instructables on Root Simple yesterday and knew that we needed to make these. Of course, this gives us our yearly allotment of food coloring but they are so much fun.
We did some adaptations that I found easier.  I used the recipe that we normally use for the candy cane cookies that I make at the holidays and divided it into 6 separate bowls, each which became it's own color of dough- yellow, orange, red, blue, green and purple.  The original directions called for making tiny snakes of each color and shaping these together.  While this works, it is time consuming and a bit frustrating.  Justine discovered a different technique that works well and was much faster with the dough we were using which is quite soft.
 Take very small bits of each color (a scant 1/2 teaspoon of each)
 Roll these very lightly into a ball.
 Roll into a rainbow snake
 and shape into the perfect pile.
 Bake in the oven and when cool, decorate.
 We brushed these lightly with sparkle gel (the only thing we had to buy- the rest of the stuff we had- WHAT?  Doesn't everyone have edible glitter in their cabinets???) and added edible glitter, candy hearts, butterflies and flowers.  And voila!  Sparkly Rainbow Unicorn Poop Cookies! Because everyone knows that unicorns poop rainbows and sparkles... and these even taste good.  Justine is taking some to the birthday party of one of her friends this evening and I will take some to work tomorrow.  Justine is also thinking that these would be something fun to do in the dorm kitchen this fall.

In non cookie related randomness, we finished the back steps for the deck this weekend.  We had to build a secondary retaining wall and backfill behind that to get the base of the steps to the level of the new patio that will be built in back of the house.
That deck is definitely providing much needed protection to the back door, both from sun and rain.
The rose that Justine and I planted by the arbor we built is blooming.  With the crazy weather we've been having (we hit 94*F yesterday) it feels more like July 4th than Memorial Day.
Ah... look at the color of those roses.
With the added space on the deck, I've got more flowers than I've ever had before.  Meaning that we're using odds and ends of planters that have been picked up over the years.  Don't you love Mister Skull Head's colorful hair?

23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Once I saw it, I knew I HAD to make some.

      Delete
  2. Unicorn poop is soooo cool! Going to have to make that with DD one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though Justine is 18 she still thought it was fun. I'm not sure anyone ever outgrows Unicorn Poop.... well, I can think of a few 'serious' people who would not be amused... but I try to not spend too much time around them ;-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. We picked up for cheap a few years ago when it was on clearance after Halloween. It has made several appearances at haunted houses run by the church youth group but mostly it has languished in the shop.

      Delete
  4. The poop turned out lovely and magically fun!! I can't wait to try them too.

    Also, love the skull planter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely and magically fun! Your children will love it.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. See my comment above about how we got it. I think we spent about $5 for it.

      Delete
  6. If those are 'silver' maple saplings, my advise it to not plant them in any part of the yard you mow. They are horrible about shedding branches every little breeze that comes by. Perhaps the only tree worse is a Chinese Elm. I have the former in my back yard and my parents have the latter in theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are silver maples. But at least they grow pretty fast. I grew up with these so I'm familiar with their 'branch issues'. And amazingly enough, we have a Chinese Elm here as well.

      Delete
  7. I loved the Unichorn Poop!! How delightful! My grandgirls would LOVE that!!! Something to think about making this summer when they are bored!! Your new deck is great!! The skull??.....wellllll....I like his hair. Very pretty. hope your stiff back gets back to normal in a hurry! Like by today!! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your darling granddaughters would love this. And it's as much fun to make as to eat.
      And not into the skull? That's OK. neither is my Mom.

      Delete
  8. If I told everyone here ,eat poop,they might take me seriously--lol love the trellis ,wanted one for years .I'll let you have your skull,I only do skulls at Halloween,I know "live outside the box"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we got it after Halloween. We mostly only put our the weird stuff at Halloween as well but this one looks pretty cool in the corner, I think. It is definitely a conversation piece.

      Delete
  9. The deck looks great and I love the new picture up top, too! Now I'm wondering if the appeal of making 'poop' cookies will outweigh the unicorn part for me boys....lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could make them in chocolate- with sunflower seeds- LOL! But I'm not sure I could bring myself to eat that!

      Delete
  10. The deck looks awesome, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. V is working on the handrail for those stairs since there is quite a drop there. I'll have to post some more photos. That one doesn't do it justice. V did such a fabulous job.

      Delete
  11. Edible unicorn poop and a skull full of petunias. Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too cute! And perfect for my daughter's end of the year girls scout party. Which is the only kind of event where we can get away with girlie stuff. My boys don;t do unicorns :) Stevie@ruffledfeathersandspilledmilk.com

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.