Tuesday, May 29, 2012

More Deck Photos

V worked so hard on the deck and it is such a fabulous outdoor space that I wanted to share some more photos with you.  He is quite pleased with himself, with good reason.  We have spent more time outside in the evenings than ever before enjoying the space.
Above, the view from near the new stairs toward the south. You can just see the west side of the pergola and the sun curtains on the left.
The whole shebang!  It's huge and wonderful and really changes the look of the house. This view is from the Southwest
The master carpenter near the dining space under the pergola, with the outdoor curtains drawn to filter the late afternoon sun.  This is the old section with the new beyond the curtains.
And some of the details that I love:
V hung my favorite candle sconces.
And we have 6 hanging baskets of flowers surrounding the deck.  You can also see the copper post caps that give it a lovely finished look.
There are still a few things to finish, including the handrails on the stairs but it is quite useable and a wonderful space to sit and enjoy the weather.  Yesterday after dinner I sat out and watched the birds.  I'm always amazed at the variety we've got. In just a few minutes I saw mourning doves, robins, blue jays, a cardinal,  an indigo bunting, a Baltimore Oriole, goldfinches and a multitude of sparrows.  We even spied a tree frog creeping along the railing one evening over the weekend.
All in all, I'm thrilled and so, so happy that the man I love could and would do something like this.

18 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your deck! Gorgeous. And I love curtains on decks. It just makes it look like you added on a room to your house.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like adding another room onto the house. It is such a wonderful living space.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I love the curtains, it makes it feel more cozy and helps with that bright sun at dinnertime. We eat on our patio most of the summer too, and we have bamboo blinds for the same reason :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... bamboo roller blinds... what a great idea. We have such trouble with these in the wind.

      Delete
  4. Holy Cow!!! V has done a WONDERFUL JOB!! Wow! look at those beams! He has worked his Arse off!! Great job and it looks super. Very inviting!! I like your candle holder. That's real cute. Oh, lets have a party! The eat-in area is so cozy and I'm sure makes any food eaten there taste 10 times better!! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of curtains outside and your thinking outside the box

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The curtains make it more livable in the late afternoon when the sun is so hot.

      Delete
  6. Yes, yes, yes, a deck adds SOOOO much to a house! Doesn't the view from the outside take on a whole different look? And talk about increasing your living and/or entertaining space for a good part of the year! Great job, V. (Can he come redo our deck next summer??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask him if he's free but I'm not sure you would want to afford him, LOL!!

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful deck! It is so perfect - and so well-built. Lucky you to have such a talented (and sweet) hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do consider myself lucky. He has put so much into this place.

      Delete
  8. Your deck is absolutely phenomenal! Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.