Saturday, May 5, 2012

Photos of the day- very photo heavy!

It started off cloudy this morning but it cleared and turned into a gloriously sunny, warm day.  Just what I needed after a week of dampness and stressful work- a day to get outside and play in the dirt.  Some random, and not so random photos of the day:
My porch has been taken over by little plants. I think I've got 11 flats out there!  But then I've got mine, Jim's and I started extras for the plant sale at church.
I got the herb spiral planted (mostly) today.  This photo was taken when I was trying out spacing.  So far there is sage, Italian Oregano, English Thyme, Tarragon, Orange Balsam Thyme, Marjoram, Flat-leaf Parsley, Chives, Garlic Chives and Basil.  The rosemary and lavender plants will go next to the house.
Our old purple iris are blooming... as is the first of our new ones that we planted.
We planted this one two years ago as a tiny little thing and this is the first year it has bloomed.  LOVE the color!!
I spent time digging the south flower bed.  I'm thinking this will have the rosemary, lavender and some chamomile- as well as my clematis.
The girls primped.  J17 and A have been friends since Kindergarden.
And J17 did manage to get her dress finished.
The top of the dress is actually 'convertible'.  She tied it off the shoulder- which I think makes the dress look lopsided.  I liked it much better with both sides up.
Aren't they lovely!?
BFFs smile for the camera.
But while the girls primped- everyone else worked!
The big support beam is up for the deck.  This is the BIG one.  We've got a 14 foot span over the sidewalk (and back door) and it took them a while to get all the cuts right so those side braces were perfect.
 When K12 wasn't busy, he did what most 12 year old boys do when presented with things that look remotely like guns....
 Back to flowers- I'm excited by this peony.  When we moved here, there were pale pink peonies by the deck and I discovered a bunch more waaaaay back by the fence, overgrown by bushes and trees- too overgrown and shaded to bloom.  I moved them two years ago and this is the first year they are going to bloom.  These look to be hot pink- more photos to come when they open.
And finally... my WTF moment.
I know it's hard to see. It's my columbine in the Goth Garden.  The plants are blooming but every single leaf has been nibbled off, leaving only stalks.  ?????  Rabbits?  But they haven't bothered them before.  And the plants in the garden look fine.  Who knows!

12 comments:

  1. Geesh, you had a lot going on at your house today! Love the color of your daughter's dress. Looks like it was a bit of a complicated pattern and she did a good job. I think your herb spiral is going to be very attractive when the herbs fill out this summer. Looking forward to pictures as the progress on it continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did do a great job on her dress. I had to laugh, she said that she ended up tying it over both shoulders at the dance because it kept slipping.
      I can't wait for the herbs to start to grow and fill out as well.

      Delete
  2. The girls and there dresses look beautiful,and I don't know about you but I think I bit off more than I can chew offering Richard to have a grad. party especially since my biggest yard helper and house hold runner fractured his leg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! And the party doesn't have to be big or fancy. We're keeping it pretty simple here so I can keep my sanity.

      Delete
  3. The spiral for an herb garden is brilliant! I'm really impressed with your daughter's sewing ability. The dress is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the idea for the herb spiral somewhere and when I looked- it is all over the place. It is a great way to get lots of herbs in a small space... and it looks really cool!

      Delete
  4. Well I didn't have to wait long for the prom dress photo since I am just now catching up on blogs LOL! The dress is really pretty, love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to see in the photos but the color of her dress almost matches her eyes. Maybe I'll have to post my favorite close up shot of her.

      Delete
  5. The girls do look lovely. And great job on your herbal spiral. Your irises are lredy blooming....odd, ours seem behind though I don't think we re that far from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The iris just kind of exploded into bloom this weekend. It was amazing! And the peonies aren't far behind. I think you are a little bit north of us but those micro-climate boundaries can have huge impacts.

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.