Sunday, May 6, 2012

Early Mother's Day and a few more photos

I got an early Mother's Day gift today.  And I got to spend more time digging in the dirt.  What better day could I have.
V and I were talking about how exposed the deck is to the highway so we wanted to make a living screen to shield us from the road.  So, today, we went off and he bought me a bunch of lilacs.  I LOVE lilacs.  At our old house we had a huge lilac hedge with three varieties intermingled.  Here, we have one old fashioned purple lilac- which I love, but we just had the one.  Until today!
 I got 5 lovely little lilac plants!
 One is still blooming- This is Sensation.  Purple flowers with white edges.
I also got: Ellen Wilmott- double white flowers; Charles Joly- double magenta flowers; James MacFarlane- single pink flowers; and a "Bloomerang" reblooming lilac.  I14 helped me plant them all this afternoon in a lovely arc along the hillside.  We are also hoping to add more things into that planting area so we don't have to mow that slope.  This is the area where the old septic tank was located- it was already on a hillside and it has sunk as the soil settled and is now quite steep and dangerous to mow.
A few more photos:

 The comfrey is blooming and attracting bees.  This lady was busily buzzing around for several minutes and it was fun to watch her.
 The hot pink peony has opened.  It went from fairly tight bud to this in just a day.  The pale pink ones are opening slowly but then they are much fuller flowers.
And finally, my favorite photo of J17 from pre-prom last night:
Her dress almost matches the shade of her eyes.  If you look really closely, you can see the detail stitching she put on the tie ends- a little decorative leaf motif.  Ok- It's a mom thing but I'm really proud of her and think she's absolutely beautiful.  She had a lovely time out together with her friends.  14 of them went out to dinner together and to the dance and party after.  
Tomorrow I've got my day off so if the weather holds we'll be decking it!

15 comments:

  1. I love lilacs ,in our home growing up ,my mom planted them also instead of a fence and they worked pretty darn good as a privacy fence,gorgeous to boot.Thanks for the sensible reminder its a grad party and I shouldn't have to lose sleep over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lilac hedge at our old house in town that acted as a screen for the alley. That's one of the reasons I wanted more.

      Delete
  2. Lovely lilac bushes, blooming comfrey, peonies and daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have the perfect place for a pollinator garden on that slope! It'll even be mostly undisturbed so that the ground pollinators can burrow down into the dirt and not be disturbed. J looks gorgeous and she did a great job on that dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a pollinator garden next to the garden but I've been thinking about another, especially since I want to get bees sometime.

      Delete
    2. Can't have too many, right? ;)

      Delete
  4. Great photos! That deck will be a really beautiful spot once done and lilacs growing, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you don't want to visit when the lilacs are blooming!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely LOVE lilacs! Glad you got some time to play in the dirt too. :)

    And what a lovely daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got to play in the dirt all weekend! How perfect is that!

      And she is quite lovely, isn't she!

      Delete
  6. The dress from what I can see here is so prettty!! Love the color with the little light dots! I love Lilacs too! We gave the one we have in the front yard a severe cut and it looks so good this year. Originally it was a dwarf, but after 12 years, it became regular and grew huge, thus the cut!!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little dots are actually multicolored glitter specks. There was a better picture of the dress in the previous post. And lilacs do better with regular pruning.
      Judy

      Delete
  7. I have never had a lilac, but wish I did. Pretty girl and pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. she IS beautiful...you have a right to be a proud Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.