Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Cool and not so hot

I stumbled across a visitor this afternoon:
I nearly stepped on it. It was lying quite flat and still on the deck.
I believe it is an Iowa Grey Tree Frog.  But it is much larger than I've seen tree frogs in the past.  I love the colors and patterns.
J17 came out to check it out and stroked it's back.  I don't know if you can see but it puffed out its sides, trying to look bigger.  Finding the frog was a little bright spot in the day.
Other things today weren't so hot.   I charged my i-Pod overnight and, as usual, listened to music on the bus and checked my email and the news.  No problem.  But when I got it home and wanted to check the radar to see if more rain was on the way, it wouldn't turn on.  Dead... nada...  I tried plugging it into my laptop- nothing- it didn't even show up.  I tried plugging it in to charge... still nothing.  sigh....  My trusty companion for to and from work is no more.  It has served long and hard for the last 5 years+ but this couldn't have come at a worse time.  There is no way I can afford to replace it, especially since I14's phone is dying a lingering, painful death and we've got other expenses coming up this month.  sigh....  I'll just have to take some reading material on the bus... but I'll miss my music.  Sadly, I had lots of things on the calendar and notes to myself on there that I'm not sure have been synced to the laptop recently.  At least all the music and photos live on my laptop.  But this reminds me that I need to back up my photos somewhere else.
More good and bad of the day...
A bright spot is that my little plants from Territorial Seeds arrived today.
A downer is that V stepped on a nail while working outside today.  At least he's had his tetanus shot recently.
And it is still rainy.  sigh...  I was doing so well with keeping up on the weeds in the garden until it started raining.

I'll try to be more cheerful tomorrow... today has been long and tiring.  We had a thunderstorm come through a little after 4 this morning that woke me up early and work was really busy.

14 comments:

  1. You're such a hard working gal I wish I could rub a magic lamp and produce a replacement i-Pod for you! (Sounds as if the money tree in your back yard hasn't blossomed yet. Nor has ours!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... you have a money tree??? Could you send me some seeds?? I'll be patient and wait until it gets big enough to bloom. Really....

      Delete
  2. Can't you just change the battery? Er wait... did I read somewhere that iPods don't have removable batteries? If that's really true it sorta irks me. Talk about planned obsolescence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well.... it is technically possible to change the battery. But first, you have to be able to find a new one and then they aren't easy to disassemble. And it would void the warranty- which for this old thing has been expired for a long time.

      Delete
    2. I'd give it a try... but then again, I'm cheap & can't resist a challenge!

      Delete
    3. Oddly enough, today it decided to respond so I charged it. It was completely discharged- even the reserve so it thinks it is Jan 1, 2000. But now after a charge and a sync it is working fine- for the moment. But this tells me that the battery is definitely the problem and it's only a matter of time before it is too late.

      Delete
  3. I had something similar happen to my iphone once where it wouldn't turn on our do anything. I discovered that all apple products have a way to hard reboot them which means you plug it in to the charger and hold a combination of buttons until the apple logo appears and then it goes through a reboot process. I had to do that to my phone and then do a backup to restore some contacts which I lost but otherwise it has worked perfectly since. Looking at ipod sites, to hard reboot them you have to press and hold the menu and the select button or the menu and the play/pause button depending on which generation you have. I would give that a try before ditching the thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a matter of reset- it is that the 5 yr old battery is finally going. And I have a first generation touch- so it definitely isn't new

      Delete
  4. Bummer! So, does that qualify as the dreaded "3s" (iPod, nail in foot, rain)? If so, it should be nothing but sunshine and daisies from here on! Just call me Pollyanna and soak my head in a pail. Things always seem worse on not-enough-sleep. Hope things brighten up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope these count as the three- I'd hate for anything more to go wrong!!

      Delete
  5. I love that frog! Stepping on a nail, eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that frog the coolest! It was so close in color to the deck that I nearly missed it.

      Delete
  6. shhh,you guys can't tell the world about those money tree's ,its a secret.sorry about your loss of the i-pod-pad pood whet ever-I know my grand-sons would die with out there's .I never thought to ask them to borrow one for my long rides to the hospital,I am so low maintenance ,I could probably get by with a little radio,I don't think my ears would ever adjust to THERE music.Heck,I don't even own a cell phone,I must be the last of a dying breed

    ReplyDelete
  7. my daughter forgot to sign off and I never catch it,sorry

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.