Sunday, January 4, 2009

Movie Night

One thing we try to do regularly as a family is have Saturday Movie Night. We don't go out much to movies.  They're not a cheap date anymore. But, one of the local grocery stores that also has a movie rental business periodically sells it's used DVDs for cheap.  They're not new releases but generally pretty new (they get rid of the excess after a new movie isn't a hot item anymore).  They usually sell them for about $5 each but recently had then 3/$10.  
So, last night we turned out the lights, all snuggled on the couch and watched 'Forbidden Kingdom' with Jackie Chan and Jet Li.  What fun.  
J14 was fascinated.  Of course, she realized that there were lots of special effects, but she ended up wanting to learn to fight with a staff.  Yeah, she's like that- into weaponry, OLD weaponry.  I told her to ask her Master if he would teach her sometime.  She has a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and she and V are taking Kum Do (Korean sword fighting).  They have progressed to the point where they will need to buy armor soon - a big EEEK right now because armor and uniforms for the two of them will cost about $700.  But they are really enjoying it.  V was a fencer in his younger days and having had a desk job it is good for him to have something physical that he really likes.  It is also a great Dad/Daughter bonding event that I wouldn't deny them.  So, we'll figure out how to make that work when the time comes. 
J14 is also THRILLED to have her internet access back.  I noticed this morning that she posted a new entry on her blog.  She has come up with some good goals for the year.
Back to the grind.  More laundry beckons. I can only fit 3 loads on the lines in the basement at a time so it takes a long time to get through the backlog.  But school and work start back tomorrow.
I'll try to post challenge updates later.

4 comments:

  1. My DS11 loves Forbidden Kingdom and so badly wants to learn Kung Fu and the weapons stuff. He and my husband attend SCA Archery night every week in our town, and from that he has gotten obsessed with metal and weapons! He and your daughter would get along so well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa- They probably would get along. I do think it's great that she has the interest and ability to defend herself if she needed to although the fascination with edged weapons is a little disturbing. I think she still has the desire to go into museum science eventually and study mediaeval weapons. She is also fascinated by blacksmithing and glassblowing. Who knows where her dreams will take her. Definitely NOT the average 14 year old girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry mom. Fashion Design may also take a high point in my life. But I can also incorporate many of my weapondry fascinations into it. You have to be comfortable to be able to fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why be normal right? My 10 yr old really wants 'sting'-- Frodo's elven sword. no martial arts though. How long does it take to dry clothes in the basement-guess it depends on the fabric. That is an idea that never crossed my mind...hmmm. My husband does all our laudry (xoxo) I don't think he will go for that idea unless I take over the laundry--fat chance! Kris

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.