1. Plant something- herbs (sage, 2 thymes, tarragon, garlic chives and a curry plant (tender perennial but new to me) and 4 mints). I need to get going on getting my beans, cucumbers and such planted- maybe over the holiday weekend (when I'm not constructing another birthday cake or digging holes for deck anchor posts)
2. Harvest something- radishes, lettuce- that's about it.
3. Preserve something- all our sanity- that's a major accomplishment this last week.
4. Waste not- hmm not too much different or unusual here.
5. Want not- I'm not sure this counts but we finally had one of the contractors for the septic come out and look at the site this afternoon so hopefully we will soon have a bid. Otherwise- I'm at a loss.
6. Build community- hmm, we ate this evening at the Linn Street Cafe- a local restaurant that specializes in preparing local/seasonal food- it was fabulous. I had scallops (not local, obviously) with fresh, local asparagus, green onions, mushrooms and an incredibly rich aioli sauce. YUMMMM!!! Our house salads were spinach and microgreens with fresh strawberry vinagrette. Mmmm.... Otherwise, I haven't been building much local food community but I have been astounded by the response from blogland to my worry and anguish. THANKS!
7. Eat the food- When we've been home, no problem here- although I need to get busy menu planning and do another freezer inventory to see what we still need to use.
Now, I've gotta get boys into bed. I've got to admit- it was a bit disconcerting to find this morning that I12 (very soon to be I13) has grown again and is now taller than me by about half an inch.... sigh- I knew it was coming... but now only K10 is shorter than I. sigh again......