It's Friday again. Where did the week go? This week seems to have just flown by. Woosh!!!
But it's time for an update on the Independence Days Challenge. I'm excited to see so many updates rolling through my feed reader. And it seems like there are lots of first timers, too. This is going to be fun!!
Here goes! I actually feel like I did better last week before we had the first 'official' week of IDC.
1. Plant something- NOT A THING! I was hoping to get some parsley started but the week got away from me. Otherwise, it is still too early to start even the early stuff.
2. Harvest something- 30 eggs this week. That's about it.
3. Preserve something- ummm.... I don't think so. Does my sanity count?
4. Waste not- recycled, composted and repurposed as usual. Veggie scraps to the chickens. This will get pretty samey over time, I fear. I did salvage two egg cartons from work. We do meals with some patients and I snagged the egg cartons before they got trashed.
5. Want not- Started my sourdough starter this week. I guess the left over prescription pain meds from V's oral surgery will go into 'the stash'. And, of course, we'll save the extra gauze pads they sent with him and they will go into the first aid kit. Let's see... picked up an extra pack of TP for the closet since it is on sale. Not much else.
6. Eat the food- V could eat scrambled eggs yesterday when he woke up- so he did. We'll have some pasta with pesto for dinner this evening. We've still got LOTS of pesto! Otherwise, we've been eating out of the freezer and pantry this week, not much from the store except milk. Oh, and I baked sourdough yesterday and we've been working on that.
7. Build Community Food systems- More eggs went to work this week and I've got an order for another dozen next week.
8. Skill up- only my sourdough. I hope to get into a rhythm where it won't seem so time consuming. And having that starter will encourage me to use it and bake more regularly. So now I'm going to have to start collecting recipes for sourdough. Hmm, pretzels anyone??
That's it for the week. It seems pretty dismal to me. But, it is February, and it has decided to be winter again. Brrr!