Monday, August 10, 2009

Finding food

Wow! Two posts in one day. What is the world coming to! V called me outside to look at the clouds (tonight's storm approaching- sigh) and had me bring my camera. While outside I discovered several other things.
Our tree has apples!
They're rather the worse for wear but they're there, not a lot but I'm hoping that if I can plant another tree for pollination that it may produce better in the future. I've got no idea what kind of tree it is. It looks like someone, at some point, cut it down the the ground and it came up from the roots. So, if it was ever grafted- it isn't at this point. It looks for all the world like a huge shrub. Maybe I'll try to clean it up some year... if the apples are at all good.
The other find, I knew would be there since I saw them blooming this spring but I had kind of forgotten about them:
Wild plums!
They're only about an inch across each but the trees are loaded. We found one that was nearly ripe and sampled it- WOW! It was fantastic. I'm thinking maybe some wild plum jam is in my future when more of them ripen. Now if I can only keep the wildlife out of them....

2 comments:

  1. Well, you sure had some great surprises!! I love plums! Wonder what else you'll fine. We had one heck of a storm this evening. Madison's Day Care flooded - good thing she's in Disneyland. They are closed for 3 days. We had a lot of flooding. Did you get a large storm?...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, great finds! I'm glad you posted this because I also "plum forgot" two trees I spotted late last fall after the plums were past their prime! Need to go look on them tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.