Monday, September 17, 2012

Pizza night!

Sorry, no photos though.
I had some pizza sauce left over from my canning exploits over the weekend so we decided to try it out.   Tonight was pizza night.  A pepperoni pizza with homemade sauce for the boys (and for V).  Plus, I made an experimental pizza for me.  Justine would have loved it!  One more thing to miss her for.
I roasted eggplant, tomatoes, sweet italian peppers, onion and garlic in the oven until tender and a little caramelized.  I pulled off the peels and tossed it all in the blender with a few black olives, some fresh basil and oregano and pureed the whole mess.  I used it as the sauce on a pizza crust, topped it with parmesan and an italian blend of cheeses, sprinkled it with a tuscan herb blend.  Fabulous!  Wonderful for a meatless Monday.  I had some left so I've now got enough for two more pizzas in the freezer for later.
Otherwise, the tomatoes are winding down. I've got a bit of sauce on the stove cooling.  We'll eat some this week and I'll freeze the rest.  There isn't enough to bother firing up the canner.

Not much else going on.

4 comments:

  1. You're such a creative cooker! Very inspiring. I would have liked to taste your meatless pizza. (I could go a long time without eating meat but hubby is a "protein type" and craves it although he doesn't complain - much - over my many meatless meals!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it was born of desperation to use the eggplant. I, too, could easily go meatless. I did the vegetarian thing for a number of years in college. Now, I'll eat meat and can even enjoy it but I could easily do without. But don't try to take my dairy away from me, LOL!

      Delete
  2. That sounds so good! I would have to really work myself up into a frenzy in order to put that much work into my dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really wasn't that much work. The veggies I tossed into the oven to roast while I did other things. I had the blender already out for other things so it was easy to just toss it in. If I did it again I would use the food processor rather than the blender to give it more texture but that would have meant one more thing to clean and it went well for pizza sauce. I was already making pizza crust for dinner and it makes two pizzas (or one and breadsticks). I did a big pizza for the guys and a smaller one with the eggplant sauce.

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.