Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Is it only Tuesday??

It really seems like it should be much later in the week than that.  Ugh.  And I've still got 4 more work days to go.  sigh.  Things have just been so hectic and with unexpected crises throwing wrenches into my plans.
Saturday's furnace fiasco messed up my weekend plans.  Sunday was a day of catching up.  Yesterday work was brutally busy and then my evening plans got thrown off by a car accident right outside the house.
I was sitting on the couch while the soup was simmering- watching a bit of news on PBS when I heard squealing of brakes, crashing and thumping sounds outside.  Definitely NOT the sounds that one normally hears on the highway.  I looked out the door to see headlights nearly in the yard.  NOT good!  I grabbed my coat and ran outside to see if everyone was OK.  Fortunately, everyone was able to walk away from this one but it could have been BAD, BAD, BAD.
A teenage driver wasn't paying attention when pulling out onto the highway from across the road and pulled into oncoming traffic (moving at highway speeds or faster).  The other vehicle (an SUV) swerved to try to avoid the teen in the pickup.  They clipped bumpers and the SUV lost control, leaving the highway and going briefly airborne before hitting a tree just outside our fence.  We could tell he was airborne because the impact mark on the tree was several feet above where his vehicle was resting on the bank of the ditch.  Luckily, the driver of the SUV was wearing his seatbelt and the airbags deployed.  He was dazed and shaken up but eventually decided he was OK.  I even got to call 911.  Oooh, the excitement.  We had two county sheriff patrol cars, an ambulance and a fire truck show up.
The SUV, in my non-expert opinion, is totaled.  The front of the vehicle is rather V shaped  (probably almost foot deep!) where it hit the tree, the passenger door barely opened, the frame looks bent and the front airbags both deployed.  Still, that the driver could walk away is a testament to the safety technology in place.  Truly amazing.  When I first saw that SUV, I imagined the worst!
The whole ordeal ended up taking about 90 minutes of the evening that I really didn't have to spare.  But both V and I felt it was important for us to be out there, helping where we could.  So, I didn't really get anything accomplished.
PLUS!!  I ended up leaving work a little early yesterday because I was having an allergic reaction to something (still not sure what!) and was feeling itchy and wanted some antihistamines.  I've got a line on my left shoulder that looks like a scratch of some sort but is blistered and itchy.  Later, I started breaking out in other places and itching all over.  It's much better today but I didn't sleep well last night, even with drugs on board.  I've still got absolutely no clue what I got into.
Add all of that to another really rough day at work today, and I'm exhausted.  I really, really want to go sew something tonight (I never made it down there last night!) but I'm not sure I've got the energy or concentration.  I hate to sew when I'm really tired- I tend to make stupid mistakes that end up taking more time than if I just left it.  especially when working with brocade and velvet I don't want to mess up.  So, maybe I'll turn in early tonight and see if tomorrow will be a better day.


  1. Methinks the fates are ganging up on you! No fair. Glad to hear the car accident was no worse than it was, but it was the right thing to do to get "involved." Maybe several not-so-great things are happening in a short span of time so you can have clear sailing now. Hope so!

  2. Hi my new friend in blogland. :)

    Wow! So much going on. Yes I agree, it is good that you went out to help.:)

    Years ago, the same opportunity came to me. A young lady got in an accident at our intersection. I don't remember the details, but she was shaking and scared, in shock. I wrapped her up in a blanket or my big warm coat and stayed with her the whole time.

    I hope that whatever is making you itch and feel tired is nothing serious. Did you check with a doctor? We never know what we can get into.

    Take care, I will pray that you are well soon and that you sleep well tonight....Byeee Janet W

  3. You've had an exciting few days!! Was glad to hear no one was hurt. I bet the teen was either trying to text or on the phone. Probably texting. I saw on the news just this morning that even texting for 5 seconds, the car will travel the length of a football field. That's how long your attention is NOT on the road. I don't text while driving. I have a hard enough time when I'm sitting in a chair!

    Hope your itchy rashy allergic reaction goes away quickly. Maybe a spider bite? kitty scratch from playing? Vampire nibble? OR PERHAPH your allergic to WORK!!! ...debbie

  4. way too much excitement, and not the good kind! Hope you have an uneventful rest of the week!!

  5. You and V did tbe right thing to stay and help. Glad it wasn't serious. You sound like you need a break! Hopefully things will stop being crazy soon and you feel better. Take care of yourself!

  6. Mama Pea- Methinks you may be right. Things seem to be coming fast and furious.
    Snowgirl- good for you for also choosing to get involved. It is sad that so few people feel the need to do that anymore. Oh, and the itching is much better.
    Debbie- I don't think he was texting. He was actually on his way home from wrestling practice and had missed his turn and was turning around on the road across from our drive. It turns out that he is someone that Justine has known since elementary school.
    Erin- I hope the rest of the week is uneventful as well.
    LindaM- I'm also so thankful that it wasn't worse than it was. It could have been scary bad.
    Karen- here,here!!


Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.