Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A change of plans

I had a phone call this afternoon from my Mother-in-law.  If you remember, she was involved in an accident while on her way here before we left for Minnesota.  She got a rental car and continued her trip and vacation with all of us and left her car in Illinois being repaired.   After the reunion vacation, she spent time visiting her sister in Duluth and waited for her car to be finished.  But, it seems that they are still waiting for a part and she needs to leave her sister's home.  So, guess what, she is coming here for an indefinite amount of time while she waits for her car to be repaired.  She will arrive some time tomorrow from Duluth and spend time with the boys and I.  Good thing I've got time off.  So, I've only got one day to myself... sigh...  And I guess I'll use it cleaning up the downstairs bathroom and spare bedroom.  I wonder if I can move my sewing machine out of the spare bedroom into Justine's room so I can still work....


12 comments:

  1. Oh. Oh. Oh. Really nothing that can be done about the situation but you reeeeally could have used those few days A.L.O.N.E. I can sympathize with you and your disappointment in the change of plans. But you're a good person and I know will make the best of it. (I think I would have thrown a hissy-fit and cried a bit.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not saying I was thrilled about the situation (losing my alone time) but I can't really tell her she can't come, can I. I still live with her oldest son ;-) Things will be fine. I just need to find a few projects to keep her busy while she's here or she will find things to do by herself.

      Delete
  2. Feeling very sad for you here... I would have a real hard time with a change like that. You are most gracious about it. By all means, move that sewing machine and secretly bribe the boys to keep their Grandma happily entertained...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys will be in school all day Friday and I15 has band rehearsal almost all day on Saturday so they won't be too available for entertainment. But I've got a few ideas for things to do to keep things busy.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm thinking that she can help me sort the coat closet. We've got outgrown coats and rain boots that need to find new homes.

      Delete
  4. Can you squeeze your sewing machine into your bedroom? At least you will have a space of your own - you can shut your door (and lock it....) Good idea to have some projects lined up - of your choosing. Hope her car is fixed quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I brought in our table from the deck and stashed it in the future library in front of one of the new big windows we just installed. I moved my sewing machine and a bunch of supplies up into there. Our bedroom has no room for my machine or that would be a great idea. Here I've got good light and room, I'll just have to contend with cats wanting to sleep on the table in front of the window.

      Delete
  5. This post sounds like a screenplay with a plot full of unexpected comedic events! Or maybe it's horror. I truly empathize with you as well. I would feel drained. I agree: Put her to work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, don't get me wrong, I do love my MIL- but she can be a bit overwhelming at times and I was really looking forward to some alone time. But I've got projects ready!

      Delete
  6. Gosh it's a good thing they are dealing with someone that has a flexible timeline and a place to stay, I'd be livid if I had to go home and then fly back somewhere to get my car LOL! Enjoy your sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wonder if they're dicking her around a bit. She is 80 and kind of ditzy so I wonder it they think they can get away with not rushing. But it has been two weeks!!

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.