Friday, August 3, 2012

Early August IDC

Whew!  What a busy day!  My MIL arrived this afternoon.  And, let me say,  I love the woman dearly but she is going to drive me crazy.  She has been on a cleaning frenzy in the kitchen.  Not that my kitchen is that dirty- but it is lived in and I had been canning tomatoes and freezing broccoli all morning.  sigh... I know she's trying to be helpful.
But, now a quick Independence Days update before things get really crazy.
Plant something- planted my little fall seedlings.  A few have survived... otherwise we're just trying to keep things alive.
Harvest something- eggs, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cucumbers, basil, zucchini and the first eggplant!
Preserve something- canned diced tomatoes earlier this week.  This morning I did 4 quarts and two pints of tomato sauce and 3 pints of enchilada sauce.  Froze the last of the broccoli.
Waste not- The usual.  Nothing too exciting here.
Want not- stocked up at Kalona on Monday.  Got 50 lbs of flour, some whole wheat flour, cornmeal. pectin and a few other staples. We also got a pork loin on sale ($1.88/lb) and cut and repacked it for the freezer.  Got a bunch of tortillas at the outlet and froze them.
Eat the food- lots of yummy garden produce lately.  I made a lovely pasta sauce of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, onions and basil.  Mmm....
Build community food systems- took some eggs to work, shopped at the Amish grocery and stopped to get cheese and curds at the cheese house.
Skill up- nada

Not sure when I'll make time to post again.  Let's hope for some rain!!

3 comments:

  1. I know your MIL might drive you crazy. I lost my MIL 20 years ago and still miss her. She drove me nuts many times, but I miss her. You are lucky to still have yours. I am envious, even the crazy part. Would be nice to have a little crazy like that in my kitchen...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better to have her helping clean up than messin' up the place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds energetic ,all of the above. any off the head ideas you do with eggplant?

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.