Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Big Baskets of Broccoli, Batman!


Yes, it was definitely a harvest of epic proportions here this afternoon.  But is now all chopped, blanched and cooling off some more before I package it up for the freezer.   Not a bad harvest from second and even some third heads!  I really had given up hope for much from the broccoli because it was so hot.  In fact, I nearly ripped it out before we went on vacation.  Fortunately I ran out of time, LOL!    With the rain and slightly cooler temperatures it is growing and producing like mad.  I'm not hoping for this much again but there may still be enough for a few meals out there.  Good thing we all like broccoli!  I think I may do some little "quiche packs" since I don't use as much in a quiche as we eat as a side dish for a meal.... and of course there is soup....  Mmmmmm.......

14 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I'd love to have gotten that much broccoli this year! Do you not have any trouble with worms in your broccoli crop? (Now that you mentioned it, you've got me hungry for Cream of Broccoli Soup!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have row covers. Unfortunately, since I had given up on it because of the drought, I didn't have the row covers on when it started to go to town. So, I've been picking those little green worms. Ugh. But, careful cleaning when I chop it and a 90 minutes soak in salt water generally does the trick.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Even I was impressed when it was all picked. I didn't really expect as much as was out there.

      Delete
  3. Envy, envy! Lovely crop there Judy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Of course, I always envy your polytunnel.

      Delete
  4. Mmmmmm, how about a nice Broccoli and cheese soup!! I'll bring the bread n' butter!!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha I froze broccoli this morning too, though not nearly as huge a load--wow! We keep picking until after the frost, it's just an amazing plant. Another reason I like picking side shoots is it's easier to find those worms :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably keep picking until it freezes off as well but I doubt I'll get this much again. I was stunned at how much was out there. I just kept finding more and more as I cut.

      Delete
  6. I would love to have gotten ANY broccoli. Of course, I didn't plant it...but next year it is on my list. I ordered some Agribon cloth and I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Agribon is definitely the way to go. Last year I had lovely broccoli with nary a worm. Sadly this year... When it really started producing I didn't have the covers on it. sigh

      Delete
  7. Ours has done super well this year as well. I am still picking. We have not had worm ONE this year!! I figured it was the heat. Last year they were covered in worms. ENJOY!
    Cheryl in IN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm envious that you haven't found worms. Of course, there weren't as many as I was expecting given that I didn't have them covered. But I'm not complaining about not too many worms. At least I'm not squeamish about picking them out.

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.