Sunday, August 26, 2012

Shhh, it's quiet here

I woke later than usual this morning to the wonderous sound of water falling from the sky.  Such a lovely sound.  It has been quietly raining all day.  Not fast or a lot, just a slow, gentle rain.  The last time I looked we were up to about half an inch but that has been a few hours ago.
It has been a quiet Sunday here.  A bit of laundry, a trip to take garden goodies and eggs to a friend in town and some quilting have been on the agenda along with things like reorganizing a kitchen cabinet.  I've got a bunch of tomatoes that I'm going to process shortly (after I get my quilt backing into the wash) but I'm not guessing that I'll get more than 3 quarts out of them.
Last night I made two quiches at the request of the boys.  One was experimental but a huge success. I finely shredded a zucchini, sauteed it and pressed the excess water out of it.  This was added to the quiche filling with sauteed onions and jalapenos.  It was quite fabulous!  The other was with fresh broccoli from the garden and a little ham.  Mmmmm....  I really should do quiche more often.  It is so tasty and uses up eggs.  Plus, we all had leftovers for breakfast this morning.  Double yum!
Otherwise, it has remained quiet.  I think I'll get back to sewing...  such a refreshing change of pace.

8 comments:

  1. better start on that cook book ,before you forget all those fab tries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I do have a notebook that I write stuff down in. I just don't think most of it is very cookbook worthy.

      Delete
  2. I like fritattas (no crust) for all kinds of leftovers for that reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like fritattas as well. We tend to make them more on weekends for breakfast.

      Delete
  3. I love quiche too, such a great way to use up random veggies that are coming in! They freeze pretty well too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's your secret for freezing them. I've frozen them but was never quite happy with how they turned out when I reheated them. The crust was always too soggy.

      Delete
  4. Maybe it's because I cheat and use frozen pie crust LOL, I don't bake it first either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are finally getting rain. After having rain most of the summer every other day or so, the month of august has been dry as a bone and our grass is not looking so hot. Turning brown as a matter of fact. I lost some flowers due to the fact we were on vacation and I forgot to tell the kids to water them. Your quiches sound yummy. Who doesn't like Quishe anyway??? ...debbie

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.