Saturday, August 25, 2012

A quiet morning

Good Saturday morning to you all. It is a quiet morning here.  So far, I'm the only one up, the coffee is brewing, chicken chores have been completed, to-do list is being formulated.
I missed my usual Independence Days Challenge update yesterday.  I was relaxing after a stressful week.  So, I thought I'd do a quick update this morning before I head off to make pancakes (K12's request).
Plant something- Not a thing.  I do hope to spend some time in the garden this afternoon (although it looks like rain is coming- Hoorah!) and would like to get some lettuce and spinach planted.
Harvest something- tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, broccoli, zucchini, cucumbers, the last honeydew, eggs- lots of eggs.  With the cooler temps the ladies have picked up production. I need to put a few egg heavy dishes into the menu plan for next week.
Preserve something- made some peach jam, 7 pints of enchilada sauce.  Dehydrated some veggies for making soup mix
Waste not- The usual
Want not-  I did get a couple packs of sugar that were on sale last week.  But my big ticket item is my treadle sewing machine.  I still need to research needles that I can use on it and give it a whirl.
Eat the food- fresh broccoli steamed on top of our chicken and rice (which impressed the MIL- I guess the ONE thing I'm good at is cooking- LOL!)  Sauteed peppers and onions with burritos, lovely grilled grass fed steak with spiced fried potatoes.  Yummy.
Build community- not much- I've been sticking close to home except for going to work
Skill up-  Not much other than checking out my treadle machine.  I've been doing research on it.

Otherwise, it seems that Justine is doing well and settling in to school life. She is planning to get involved in some community service activities as well as her schooling and work-study job (she doesn't know yet what she will be doing).  The house seems a bit quieter without her but it hasn't really sunk in that she is so far away.  We email or text regularly but it's not the same.

And let me just say... this whole election debacle is making me crazy.  Can't we just start over?  Some of those Republicans (and not just the major candidates) are beginning to scare the s&*t out of me.  Do they REALLY believe some of that crap?!  I'll admit it- I'm a liberal and am big on social justice.  My ideal would be if everyone respected everyone else's beliefs and rights.  Is that really that difficult?  And a shout out to mamaraby at Under the Maple Canopy for posting this video.  Be warned- it is NSFW but hilarious.  I do think my favorite line is something like "because no one knows more about women's issues than middle aged white guys with comb-overs".

11 comments:

  1. No kidding! I'm seriously thinking about shutting down the internet until it's all over (we already avoid TV and Radio, ha). It's just exhausting seeing all the craziness all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SO tired of political ads... from both sides!

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear that Justine is settling in, what an adventure this year will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will definitely be and adventure for all of us.

      Delete
  3. Judy, about Justine....texting will become your new normal. I felt much like you did last year with both kids gone...it was odd! But they love texting so it ended up being not as " quiet" eventually:) I am glad she is adjusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've texted for a while now so it isn't entirely new. I can't imagine yet what it would be with NO children in the house.

      Delete
  4. "My ideal would be if everyone respected everyone else's beliefs and rights."

    Yes, that is what I (one of "those Republicans") and many, many other "those Republicans" wish for as well. Geesh, I really enjoy reading your blog, but golly, that just kinda feels like an out of left field kick in the stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Karen- no offense intended. I know that there are many, many decent people out there- of all political parties. I just wish they were the ones making the news. Certain gentlemen who can't seem to keep their facts straight really just kind of set me off.
      Yes, there are many Republicans and Democrats (as well as Libertarians, I'm sure) who give their parties a bad name. Just like I think that there are many so called Christians who give Christianity a bad name. I do respect your rights to believe what ever you wish. I just get fed up when people want everyone else to think the same way they do. That ONLY their beliefs and opinions are valid. THOSE are the people who give humanity a bad name.
      I do hope I haven't put you off. But, I am who I am and I won't apologize for it.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and Karen- I was also mostly venting about a certain candidate from Missouri who, in addition to having failed compassion class, appears to have opted out of a few too many sections of Jr High Health Class when it comes to biology.

      Delete
  5. I was going to comment back when you put this post up, but I was on my iPad and blogger doesn't seem to care for the iPad. I have a treadle sewing machine I got from my Great-Grandmother via my Mom. There are some treadle sewing machine online communities out there that might be helpful if you need further help with your machine (thought this is an older post so maybe you already have?).

    Thanks for the shout out. For me it's been more than a year's worth of exhaustion with no end in sight. I've given up trying not to offend people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I haven't been ignoring your comment. It's just that in its infinite wisdom Blogger put you in spam. Go figure. I have now unspammed you (is that a word?). I've checked out several of those places but haven't had much luck yet. It appears that the model I've got isn't a common one and there isn't really much info out there on it.
      J

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.