Wednesday, August 15, 2012

And she's off!


V and Justine just left for parts East.  I'm a bit of a whirlwind of emotions at the moment but it hasn't all sunk in yet.  Give me a week or two to really start to miss her.
They will travel as far as Eastern Ohio today and finish the drive tomorrow, staying with V's sister until move-in day on Saturday.
My tiny little girl is off on a grand adventure, starting her life as an adult. Eeek.  I'm not sure I'm ready for this. But look out Philadelphia- she's on the way!!
V will leave PA on Sunday, arriving home late Monday afternoon.  The boys start school tomorrow and I'm really kind of looking forward to having the house entirely to myself for a couple of days since I've got a few more vacation days ahead.  I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've ever been alone in this house for any period over an hour.  Gardening, closet sorting and quilting are all on the agenda.

8 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Mom. You'll be fine and so will Justine. I think it's so good (if possible) for kids to go away to school to an area other than that in which they grew up. Just that little bit of environment/culture change is often an eye-opener and growth experience for them.

    Hope you can enjoy to the hilt(!) your days alone. That's good for all of us once in a while, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we'll both be fine and I agree with you that it's important for kids to step out on their own. It doesn't mean I won't miss her.

      Delete
  2. I don't think you ever get rid of the lump in your throat or the tug in your heart. Our nephew left yesterday for college - third year away and I still feel like crying a bit. This time he is making the trip back to Nashville with his first car - that makes it feel like he won't be coming back - he loves it there. (Don't worry - he is not driving alone - his mom is with him - we told him her apron strings are very long and strong!) They are driving straight through from Washington state. I heard from him last night around midnight and they were just about to Odgen Utah. (Funny thing - when I first went away to college, I didn't want to come back, either, but that changed after several years...)

    Enjoy your days alone - having the time to make your own pace and plans can be very restful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had both told ourselves that we weren't going to cry this morning but we both got a bit teary this morning saying farewells.

      Delete
  3. Such an adventure! With social media (email and such) it sure will be easier to keep in touch. I hope she has a wonderful time - and you? Just breathe deeply and enjoy the peace and quiet for now. With your schedule, you deserve a rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're planning to be able to video chat occasionally and will keep in touch with phones, texting and email as well. And now I've only got one day to myself. Oh well....

      Delete
  4. Congrats to J on her adventure, I'm sure she will do great. How cool we can do things like email and video-chat now, makes the distance much less far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adventure she is in for, you must be so proud of her! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.