Friday, August 5, 2011

D is for...

DELIGHTED!!  The first 'real' harvest this year.  Enough tomatoes, peppers and tomatillos for salsa.  Not enough to can but it was really yummy with our burritos for dinner.  Interestingly enough, the black and pineapple tomatoes are ripening first of all the slicing tomatoes.  Also hidden in the bottom of the bucket are three little pattypan squash.  Now that the heat has broken a bit they finally started setting on.  Hooray!!  So we had sauteed squash and onions for dinner as well. Mmmm....
DETERMINED.  Things may not always go my way but I just keep going.  Someday we will have things more under control here.  Maybe when the main renovations are finally done.  We are still trying to finish so many things at once inside that the outside seems out of control.  But someday....
DOG TIRED.  I've been burning the candle at both ends recently.  Working full time out of the home and still trying to keep up with house, garden and animals plus getting ready for guests and party next week is taking its toll.  I work this Saturday as well so things should be getting really interesting.
DISAPPOINTED.
Blight stricken tomatoes speak for themselves. Amazingly enough, it appears as if it has reached an impasse with the plants and most of them are holding their own.  The romas, being the only determinate tomatoes in the garden, look the worst (and sadly, most of them bloomed when it was too hot for the fruit to set on).  The others plants have come back with a vengeance.  I'm hoping that the cooler, drier weather in the forecast will help.  The fruit on the vines are huge and gorgeous!
DISORGANIZED.  Yes, indeed...I have difficulty keeping things organized.  Don't get me wrong, I know where things are, it is just organized chaos.  I do wonder sometimes if the children 'help' with this.  No matter how many times I show the boys where things get put away in the kitchen, they just don't seem to get it.  I've still got stuff stacked here and there in various rooms that aren't yet completed. I will be so glad when this house if finally DONE and everything has a home.
DEDICATED.  To many things.... to my job which I love, even though it takes me from home.  To my family who are the most important thing in the world to me.  To my dream of making this 5 acres into a lovely, productive haven.  To living lightly on the earth.  To being more self sufficient.  To finding peace of mind.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful first harvest! So colorful!! You are one busy lady, I can say that for you!! You get a lot more done than I think I could do!! Cheers to you and I hope you can get some rest before the company comes...lol...fat chance huh?! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Romas produced the least of them all this year. Nothing to shout about all in all...

    Lovely post--I like this alphabet idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.