I took a day off work today. No particular reason but I had some things I wanted to accomplish that are more easily done during the week.
I managed to get much of my holiday shopping done this morning. Hurrah!! Just a few more things that I want to order and I'll be done. I still need to pick up V's gift. I can't decide between two different things. Hmm, I'll have to think on that one.
J16 wants a book on herbs. Any suggestions? She likes mine (I have Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs) and wants one like that- but I want to get her something different. She has a strong interest in herbs and herbal medicine that I'm not discouraging.
Mostly today, I puttered around the house, getting small things done.
It occurred to me that I haven't done an Independence Days update for quite a while. It's getting pretty samey this time of year but here goes...
1. Plant something- Tulips!! J16 and I finally got around to planting the tulips that I picked up at the end of the season. It's a bit late so hopefully they will do well.
2. Harvest something- lettuce, sage leaves, a few walking onions. Gleaned some corn from the fields for the birds.
3. Preserve something- cubed and roasted roasted the rest of the squash that was starting to go bad and froze it in meal sized portions. We like to have squash cubes tossed with olive oil, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and rosemary roasted in the oven. Served over pasta with parmesan cheese it is heavenly. I've never tried to roast it and freeze it before but it's all set to thaw, reheat, mix with parmesan and serve. We'll see how it goes.
4. Waste not- Hmm, can't really think of much different than the norm. Froze the extra lasagna since there is no way we can eat it all before it goes bad.
5. Want not- Gleaned corn for bird food. Organized my extra canning jars for next year. I'm still trying to organize the basement since construction is coming to a close.
6. Build community- not much here
Gotta run and get my pizza out of the oven.
7. Eat the food- Mmm, squash lasagna. Need I say more...