Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday

It's Monday so it must be time for an IDC update. It was a HOT weekend so we tried to get out to weed in the garden each morning before it got too hot. We also spent quite a bit of time in the pool. Ahhh...
But, here is the update for the week:
1. Plant something- nope.
2. Harvest something- a few tomatoes, lots of hot peppers, red cabbage, the first cucumber!
3. Preserve something- froze a few blueberries since our local store was having a great sale.
4. Waste not- not much new here. We have been using newspaper and grass clippings as mulch in the garden. While it was actually my parents who are responsible this, we ended up with 10 old folding chairs from their church. Someone gave their church a donation for new chairs so they decided to hold a silent auction to get rid of their old ones. My parents picked up 20 chairs for $.50 each. What a deal. So, one of my sisters is getting 5, my brother is getting 5 and my parents gave us 10. So, now we will have extra chairs if we need them. Of course, they are 50+ year old metal chairs but they are still good. A few need new rubber feet on them but they will be great for any events we decide to host.
5. Want not- stocked up on unbleached flour at the store ($.99 for a 5 lb bag) and brown sugar (also $.99 a package). Picked up two gallons of vinegar for cleaning and preserving while it was also on sale.
6. Community food systems- not much here. But I did share garden produce with my brother.
7. Eat the food- stuffed chilies!! Need I say more. Oh, and pink coleslaw. We also got some local sweet corn that was Oh, so tasty!!

3 comments:

  1. Judy, how do you stuff your chillies, what with I mean? Last year I had loads of chillies and didn't use them all. Would love some ideas please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please share what you use to stuff your chillis! And what a deal on the chairs - that's something that always seems to be lacking around here when we have a gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum stuffed chiles! Me too - we want your ingredients!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.